Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 56: 32 weeks and 2 appointments

32 week photo update

This morning I went to visit the practicing pediatrician at Cool Springs Family Medicine. If this place was closer to Columbia, hands-down this would be where we bring Adara. The receptionist out front was a little stressed out, but the doctor was great. She was not in a hurry, and explained all my questions thoroughly.

Vaccines-parents choice,  but promote informed decisions. They work with a lot of autistic patients, and so they have a background and a lot of knowledge of the pros and cons of vaccines.

She explained when the baby would be seen routinely. The first week appointment usually lasts about 40 minutes and the ones after that are around 20 minutes. They may be shorter or longer depending on my concerns.

We talked about availability during and outside office hours. She said that during office hours, questions are sent back to the doctor who is most available that day, and that they are prioritized by need. Dr. Mulder also explained the patient portal online, which is like emailing the doctor with any questions. She said I would also be provided with a cell phone for the doctor on-call for questions outside office hours. She said they also provide lactation support, as she and the other female doctor have both personal and professional experience. She concluded by saying that they focus on keeping the baby well, and not just treating sickness.

Overall I was very impressed. It was so nice to not feel rushed out. Dr. Mulder asked me if there were any other questions, and even answered some questions I had about the midwife side of their services.

The biggest bummer was the drive. It's been so nice to be able to just drive a few minutes to my OB, and I think the convenience of having a closer doctor may outweigh the comfort and ideals of this practice. I meet with a family doctor less than 5 minutes from our apartment on Wednesday, so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Next, I met with a nutritionist at Maury Regional Hospital. I brought my blood sugar levels, a printed page from my sparkepeople account, and my meal plan. She said she was impressed with what I had already. We reviewed serving sizes, and how many carb servings to have at meals and snacks. She emphasized that I should eat a minimum of 1800 calories a day, and that I should minimize my carbs in the morning. Here's what my plan looks like:



The nutritionist told me to eat three meals and three snacks! Now, the meals aren't huge, but they are not tiny either. I'm actually going to be eating more food than I thought I would! I just need to make sure that I don't overload on carbs on any one meal. Even when I go out to eat, I can still have a burger, I just can't have a large fries or drink a coke/sweet tea. I was kind of worried that I would have to try doing low-carb again. I know how to do it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. And I don't! I should be fine only making minor changes. I'm a little bummed that we had to pay to find that out, but it's nice to have someone help me make a plan and for me to be able to ask questions. She also encouraged me to exercise as my doctor recommends, since that helps with blood sugar levels. The nutritionist gave me her card, and said I can call her if I have any questions.


A lot happened today! It's exciting to go places and find out more information to help both now and in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment