Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 62: Labor dream

Last night I dreamed that I went into labor...

I was at the hospital, and I'd waited a while before showing up. Although not in pain, I'd obviously had a rough time by the way I looked when I walked by a mirror. The nurse who checked me said I was progressing well, and was already pretty far along-exactly as I had planned. However, she didn't tell me how far along I was; I wanted to know, but didn't ask.

 (In real life, I told my doctor that I don't want to know if I am dilated during my weekly appointments, but I do want to know when I am actually in labor!)

There were some strange things about the hospital- multiple beds per room, and at first there wasn't even an open bed for me, so when I had a contraction I just knelt on the floor and waited for it to pass. There were so many people there, and it was noisy.  Nobody thought it was unusual to make me wait in some random hallway. A nurse finally checked up on me, and told me that there was an open bed.

However, by the time I followed the nurse to the bed, she told me that I was no longer in labor, that all the progress I had made was reversed and that I would be going home soon. I was allowed to stay the night, but I would be going home the next day still pregnant.

I was so frustrated! I had just done all that work, and now the baby wasn't coming for who knows how long! The dream pretty much ended with me feeling exhausted and getting ready to climb into a very comfy looking hospital bed.

What a relief it was to hear my wonderful husband laugh and remind me of the impossibility of this happening.

Maybe it's the feeling that I've been pregnant for what seems like forever, and sometimes it seems like she'll never get here. Thankfully she will get here! Even if my labor is long, it won't be forever, and it will be totally worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment